Monday, October 27, 2008

More responses to comments...

I thank the former student who was here ten years ago for writing, I hope they will write again, but I would like to address the distinction between a couple of our statements...

1. You stated that kids went to Seven Eleven with permission.... it has always been true that some students leave campus without permission.... I seem to remberer that one supposed "Senior Skip Day" the administration showed up at Sheri's during first period to catch some of the "skippers."

Some teachers have allowed kids to go get food and drink as well... (for the record, I do not think that is professional and boy that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.)

However, I stated that some teachers now SEND kids and forgive tardies in exchange for drinks.

That is a pretty big difference.

2. In terms of kids getting away with things... I guess I could be more clear... ten years ago, IF a teacher reported any of those things, they were addressed by administration. Now they are not. If the teachers let them get away with things back then, that was their own, individual, unprofessionalism, not a systematic lack of authority as there is now.

3. There have always been teachers who push the limits, or pick and choose which rules they will follow because they do not agree with them. The difference has to come from the expectations of leadership.

There are some teachers who have been here for that long and longer.... A few of them have fallen into some bad habits... however, with the right leadership they would remember having been under good direction and come back into the right manners in most cases.

I fear for those who have only ever known chaos and disorder. many of them have never known how wonderful it can be to work in an emotionally safe, positive working atmosphere with competent leadership and clear direction. They cling to the only thing they have known, like a child who doesn't want to remove a splinter out of fear of the pain.

Ask someone who worked here when Dale Koger was the principal about effective administration. The picture they have is very different...

PS. Former student, who were your freshman Core teachers and did Core help you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can a teacher feel safe when bloggers such as you threaten them and degrade them? I am a student in the advisory when the incident you report of a teacher standing in a doorway and not helping another teacher during a fight. This is flat out wrong. It happened last Thursday. I know because I called my teacher into his room to get help with my math. He usually is the only one in this end of the hall in the hall between periods. He was helping me when the "fight" happened. He did not get back to the hall until after others had responded. He did not even know what happened. But he watched both advisory classes for the entire period. Fortunately, our class went to the auditorium and another teacher watched us while my advisory teacher watched the other teacher's class. When the other teacher came back she accused my teacher of not helping and never helping. I was by the door when she said that. It was a misunderstanding that they cleared up. Unless she is attacking my teacher in private that is.

Stop attacking teachers!! They are working hard in a terrible situation. Your comments about removing those that believed in Mr. Robinson or other people attacking people who did not support Mr. Robinson are hurting us. Stop now. We need to work together. Neither side is all right or all wrong. There is a middle road we can take.

Anonymous said...

Your teacher should of stopped helping you and helped break up the fight. That was more important at the time then you needing help!
As for the fighting, if you want to talk like adults then start acting like adults.
I doubt this will get posted but that is how I feel. I have lived in Lebanon for 31 years,graduated from the high school and now am sadden by how things have gone down the drain over the years!

Dennis said...

In my case, it was Marsha Ray, Dave Winters and Martin Dannen.

I can't tell if the fact that it was a core helped; I was only in HS, after all, and lacked the perspective and knowledge to know that. I can say that I think both Winters and Dannen were excellent teachers.