Sunday, October 12, 2008

Where is the line?

After hearing that another blog has decided to attack the person that they believe is doing this blog I notice there is a definite line that each "side" has drawn in the sand and whenever they walk up to it, it is okay, but the other will say, "you have crossed the line."

Therefore I will define my "line."

I believe that if there is a person or position that needs to change, alter or be eliminated, I will address that issue.

I will not attack the people who disagree with me. I post every comment (except for one that was requested that I not post it and one that a person repeated the exact same post, I believe in error). I would only not post something if it were libelous or slanderous or had inappropriate language.

I will debate the issues and I will continue to call out those who are not seeing what I consider to be the writing on the wall. The community has spoken. It is time for the teachers to speak and be heard (the ones who have been silenced). It is time for the community to be heard (the ones who have been intimidated into silence). It is time for the parents to sit down and talk with the teachers without administration present and work through some details.

I will state it here and clearly.... The current administration and several teachers have engaged in actions and processes that were designed to silence those who have now been vindicated by the recent turn of events. The voices need to be heard.

And....on another note...tying up loose ends...

1. The teacher who reported the torch is the source for the prior rumor... the administrator came back to the teacher and told them that they had spoken to the student and they were very sorry.

2. The math teacher mentioned by one of the commentors has a very bad reputation among students, and the point of the posting I made was that there is no way to judge teacher quality, nor is there any way to guarantee any kind of expertise in a subject as long as we make all of the teachers teach everything.

3. Just ask a few of the employees who have tried to speak up in the past and been punished. You will get an earful of facts, not rumor, nor innuendo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was going to take Mr. Martens' Calculus class but I withdrew after the first week. I was given a review of what I should have learned in Pre-Calculus and found that I did not know what I should have. I guess I should have known that was true since my class with Mr. Selby was a joke. It was so easy, I received 103% and knew I didn't know the material. I wish a had Mr. Martens or Mr. Hellend. In their classes you are responsible for learning and are pushed to learn.

I have talked to many friends and they all say that Mr. Martens cares about his students and is available to all those who want help. The only "complaint" I heard is he assigns homework and expects students to complete it because he grades all of it. Not just a few problems but every single one. Maybe I should have stayed but I did not want to risk not doing well.